Saturday, October 30, 2010

Keeping it Fun!

FUN DAY!

So while Jesse was working hard coaching St Francis Yacht Club's Opti Race Team, I decided to go for a sail with one of my best buds, Davo Siegal. We went to Tabor and Tufts together and have done tons of sailing together, but never in the same boat. It was Dave's first time in a 49er and it was my first time sailing the 49er with someone other than Jess. So a day of firsts for sure and I was a little worried about how we and the boat would hold up, especially given the stormy, SF afternoon which created variable wind around the bay. I mean Davo's no slouch in a boat, being a two-time All-American and all, but I remember Jess and I's first day in a 49er and there's plenty of scar tissue around from the amount of flailing and swimming involved. I can remember that day so clearly, we were so clueless, we were lucky we didn't break anything major or hurt ourselves. What Dave and I concluded was that it really helps to have someone who has an idea in the boat.

You can evaluate two photos below, one from Jess and I's first day and then one from today with Davo. Pretty funny. I was joking that Dave was insulting the 49er by not capsizing during his first session. He was focused the entire session and was taking my comment to heart that "Its full on from the moment the boat leaves the dolly to the time it gets back on the dolly." He also got lucky that the variable breeze was light in the beginning, while he was getting a feel for it and then it built for the end. Dave's good luck I swear...

Jesse and Zander's first day...December 2008

hmmm...where's Jesse?

Davo and Zander's first day...Nov 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment